Call us now:
As the name implies, post traumatic stress disorder occurs after traumatic events in a person’s life.
Generally, these events will be severe such as life threatening incidents like a car crash or an attack but severe trauma can also be caused by less life threatening incidents which are nevertheless extremely traumatic such as assault.
Significantly, an individual does not need to experience a trauma themselves to suffer from PTSD, but can witness trauma among other people, such as rescue workers traumatised by what they’ve seen.
Post traumatic stress disorder can be very disorientating for sufferers, who don’t always realise that their deterioration in mental well-being is related to a traumatic episode in their past.
However, counselling has been proven to provide effective relief from the symptoms of PTSD, as well as helping people cope with its causes.
If you have or think you have post traumatic stress disorder, call Stockport Counselling today for therapeutic help – 07825 599794
Are You Suffering From Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?
If any of the below apply to you, then you may well be experiencing PSTD
- you have witnessed or been directly involved in a traumatic episode such as an assault, rape, accident, crime, fire etc
- you experience frequent upset when thinking about a traumatic episode
- you feel you’ve changed after experiencing trauma, such as becoming unfeeling or more agitated
- you engage in avoidant behaviour with anything connected to a traumatic event
- you experience regular ‘flashback’ or nightmares about a traumatic episode
- anything that reminds you of an unpleasant event causes strong reactions
- you are unable to recollect properly a traumatic event and think you have become numb to such events
- you no longer enjoy normal activities after a traumatic event
- you now regularly experience symptoms of anxiety such as increased agitation, dizziness or difficulty sleeping
How We Can Help
Talking to a counsellor can help alleviate the impact of post traumatic stress disorder.
By listening to your thoughts and feelings, an approach will be devised designed to bring immediate relief to the symptoms of PTSD, and work longer term to help you come to terms with any traumatic event.
Call today for a friendly, supportive chat about how you are feeling, and we can arrange an appointment to see you